The Whether Member Terms of Service
Last Modified: March 05, 2018
Our mission is to reduce friction between job search and campus recruiting process. Our services are designed to promote economic opportunity for our users by enabling you and millions of other students and job seekers to learn career advice and find opportunities.
You agree that by clicking “Sign Up” or similar, registering, accessing or using our services (described below), you are agreeing to enter into a legally binding contract with The Whether (even if you are using our Services on behalf of a company). If you do not agree to this contract (“Contract” or “User Agreement”), do not click “Sign Up” (or similar) and do not access or otherwise use any of our Services.
This Contract applies to TheWhether.com, The Whether branded apps, The Whether’s Soft Skills & Values Survey and other Better Weekdays-related sites, apps, communications and other services that state that they are offered under this Contract (“Services”), including the offsite collection of data for those Services, such as “The Whether Pulse” plugin. Registered users of our Services are “Members” and unregistered users are “Visitors”. This Contract applies to both.
You are entering into this Contract with The Whether (also referred to as “we” and “us”). If you reside in the United States, you are entering into this Contract with Better Weekdays, Inc. and your personal data provided to, or collected by or for, our Services is controlled by Better Weekdays, Inc.
Members and Visitors
When you register and join the The Whether Service, you become a Member. If you have chosen not to register for our Services, you may access certain features as a visitor.
Here are some promises you make to us in this Contract:
You’re eligible to enter into this Contract and you are at least our “Minimum Age.”
The Services are not for use by anyone under the age of 16.
To use the Services, you agree that: (1) you must be the “Minimum Age” (described below) or older; (2) you will only have one The Whether account, which must be in your real name; and (3) you are not already restricted by The Whether from using the Services.
Members who were below this new Minimum Age when they started using the Services under a previous User Agreement may continue to use them, as they have already reached the new Minimum Age since then or will reach it in the near future.
“Minimum Age” means 16 years old. However, if law requires that you must be older in order for The Whether to lawfully provide the Services to you without parental consent (including using of your personal data) then the Minimum Age is such older age.
You’ll keep your password a secret.
You will not share an account with anyone else and will follow our rules and the law.
Users are account holders. You agree to: (1) try to choose a strong and secure password; (2) keep your password secure and confidential; (3) not transfer any part of your account (e.g., connections) and (4) follow the law and our list of Dos and Don’ts. You are responsible for anything that happens through your account unless you close it or report misuse.
The Whether Service
The Whether is available free of access to all professionals.
If you buy any of our paid Services such as the Soft Skills & Values Survey, you agree to pay us the applicable fees and taxes.
- All of your purchases of Services are subject to The Whether’s refund policy.
- We may calculate taxes payable by you based on the billing information that you provide us at the time of purchase.
Notices and Service Messages
You’re okay with us providing notices to you through our websites, apps, and contact information your provided to us. If the contact information you provide is out of date, you may miss out on important notices.
You agree that we will provide notices to you in the following ways: (1) a notice within the Service, or (2) a message sent to the contact information you provided us (e.g., email, mobile number, physical address). You agree to keep your contact information up to date.
Please review your settings to control and limit the messages you receive from us.
When you share information, others can see, copy and use that information.
Our Services allow messaging and sharing of information in many ways, such as links to articles, job postings, and blogs to other social media platforms. Where we have made settings available, we will honor the choices you make about who can see content or information. For job searching activities, we default to not notifying anyone but the job poster. So if you apply for a job through our Service or opt to signal that you are interested in a job, our default is to share it only with the job poster.
We are not obligated to publish any information or content on our Service and can remove it in our sole discretion, with or without notice.
Rights and Limits
Your License to The Whether
You own all of the content, feedback, and personal information you provide to us, but you also grant us a non-exclusive license to it.
We’ll honor the choices you make about who gets to see your information and content
You promise to only provide information and content that you have the right to share, and that your The Whether profile will be truthful.
As between you and The Whether, you own the content and information that you submit or post to the Services and you are only granting The Whether and our affiliates the following non-exclusive license: A worldwide, transferable and sublicensable right to use, copy, modify, distribute, publish, and process, information and content that you provide through our Services, without any further consent, notice and/or compensation to you or others.
These rights are limited in the following ways:
- You can end this license for specific content by deleting such content from the Services, or generally by closing your account, except (a) to the extent you shared it with others as part of the Service and they copied, re-shared it or stored it and (b) for the reasonable time it takes to remove from backup and other systems.
- We will get your consent if we want to give third parties the right to publish your posts beyond the Service. However, other Members and/or Visitors may access and share your content and information, consistent with your choices.
- While we may edit and make formatting changes to your content (such as translating it, modifying the size, layout or file type or removing metadata), we will not modify the meaning of your expression.
- The Soft Skills & Values Survey is offering tools to help you make yourself more aware of your own interests, motivations and skills in the business world. We are not responsible for any career decisions you may make.
- The Whether are not clinical (psychological) assessment instruments, and the results each provides are not a measure of psychological health.
- Because you own your content and information and we only have non-exclusive rights to it, you may choose to make it available to others, including under the terms of a Creative Commons license.
By submitting suggestions or other feedback regarding our Services to The Whether, you agree that The Whether can use and share (but does not have to) such feedback for any purpose without compensation to you.
You agree to only provide content or information that does not violate the law nor anyone’s rights (including intellectual property rights). You also agree that your profile information will be truthful. The Whether may be required by law to remove certain information or content in certain countries.
We may change, suspend or end any Service, or change and modify prices prospectively in our discretion. To the extent allowed under law, these changes may be effective upon notice provided to you.
We may change or discontinue any of our Services. We don’t promise to store or keep showing any information and content that you’ve posted.
We have the right to limit how you connect and interact on our Services.
The Whether reserves the right to limit your use of the Services, including the number of your connections and your ability to contact other Members. The Whether reserves the right to restrict, suspend, or terminate your account if The Whether believes that you may be in breach of this Contract or law or are misusing the Services (e.g. violating any Do and Don’ts).
Intellectual Property Rights
We’re providing you notice about our intellectual property rights.
The Whether reserves all of its intellectual property rights in the Services. Using the Services does not give you any ownership in our Services or the content or information made available through our Services. Trademarks and logos used in connection with the Services are be the trademarks of their respective owners. Better Weekdays, The Whether and other Better Weekdays’ trademarks, service marks, graphics, and logos used for our Services are trademarks or registered trademarks of Better Weekdays.
Disclaimer and Limit of Liability
This is our disclaimer of legal liability for the quality, safety, or reliability of our Services.
TO THE EXTENT ALLOWED UNDER LAW, THE WHETHER AND ITS AFFILIATES (AND THOSE THAT The Whether WORKS WITH TO PROVIDE THE SERVICES) (A) DISCLAIM ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND REPRESENTATIONS (E.G. WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ACCURACY OF DATA, AND NONINFRINGEMENT); (B) DO NOT GUARANTEE THAT THE SERVICES WILL FUNCTION WITHOUT INTERRUPTION OR ERRORS, AND (C) PROVIDE THE SERVICE (INCLUDING CONTENT AND INFORMATION) ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS.
SOME LAWS DO NOT ALLOW CERTAIN DISCLAIMERS, SO SOME OR ALL OF THESE DISCLAIMERS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Exclusion of Liability
These are the limits of legal liability we may have to you.
TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER LAW (AND UNLESS The Whether HAS ENTERED INTO A SEPARATE WRITTEN AGREEMENT THAT OVERRIDES THIS CONTRACT), The Whether AND ITS AFFILIATES (AND THOSE THAT The Whether WORKS WITH TO PROVIDE THE SERVICES) SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU OR OTHERS FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, OR ANY LOSS OF DATA, OPPORTUNITIES, REPUTATION, PROFITS OR REVENUES, RELATED TO THE SERVICES (E.G. OFFENSIVE OR DEFAMATORY STATEMENTS, DOWN TIME OR LOSS, USE OF, OR CHANGES TO, YOUR INFORMATION OR CONTENT).
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE LIABILITY OF THE WHETER AND ITS AFFILIATES (AND THOSE THAT THE WHETER WORKS WITH TO PROVIDE THE SERVICES) EXCEED, IN THE AGGREGATE FOR ALL CLAIMS US $1000.
THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY IS PART OF THE BASIS OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN YOU AND THE WHETHER AND SHALL APPLY TO ALL CLAIMS OF LIABILITY (E.G. WARRANTY, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, CONTRACT, LAW) AND EVEN IF THE WHETHER OR ITS AFFILIATES HAS BEEN TOLD OF THE POSSIBILITY OF ANY SUCH DAMAGE, AND EVEN IF THESE REMEDIES FAIL THEIR ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
SOME LAWS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY, SO THESE LIMITS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
We can each end this Contract anytime we want.
Both you and The Whether may terminate this Contract at any time with notice to the other. On termination, you lose the right to access or use the Services. The following shall survive termination:
- Our rights to use and disclose your feedback;
- Members and/or Visitors’ rights to further provide content and information you shared through the Service to the extent copied prior to termination;
- Sections 4, 6 and 7 of this Contract;
- Any amounts owed by either party prior to termination remain owed after termination.
You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to close your account.
In the unlikely event we end up in a legal dispute, we agree to resolve it in Missouri courts (using Missouri law).
Here are some important details about how to read the Contract.
If a court with authority over this Contract finds any part of it not enforceable, you and us agree that the court should modify the terms to make that part enforceable while still achieving its intent. If the court cannot do that, you and us agree to ask the court to remove that unenforceable part and still enforce the rest of this Contract. To the extent allowed by law, the English language version of this Contract is binding and other translations are for convenience only. This Contract (including additional terms that may be provided by us when you engage with a feature of the Services) is the only agreement between us regarding the Services and supersedes all prior agreements for the Services.
If we don’t act to enforce a breach of this Contract, that does not mean that The Whether has waived its right to enforce this Contract. You may not assign or transfer this Contract (or your membership or use of Services) to anyone without our consent. However, you agree that The Whether may assign this Contract to its affiliates or a party that buys it without your consent. There are no third party beneficiaries to this Contract.
We reserve the right to change the terms of this Contract and will provide you notice if we do and we agree that changes cannot be retroactive. If you don’t agree to these changes, you must stop using the Services.
You agree that the only way to provide us legal notice is at the contact method below.
The Whether “Dos” and “Don’ts”
You agree that you will:
- Comply with all applicable laws, including, without limitation, privacy laws, intellectual property laws, anti-spam laws, export control laws, tax laws, and regulatory requirements;
- Provide accurate information to us and keep it updated;
- Use your real name on your profile;
- Use the Services in a professional manner.
You agree that you will not:
- Act in an unlawful or unprofessional manner in connection with our Services, including being dishonest, abusive or discriminatory;
- Post inaccurate, defamatory obscene, shocking, hateful, threatening or otherwise inappropriate content or airing personal grievances or disputes;
- Use an resume that is not for your profile;
- Create a false identity on The Whether. The occasional creation of clearly fictional profiles by The Whether or with its express permission in connection with a promotional campaign does not waive this obligation;
- Misrepresent your identity (e.g. by using a pseudonym), your current or previous positions, qualifications or affiliations with a person or entity;
- Create a Member profile for anyone other than yourself (a real person);
- Invite people you do not know to join your network;
- Use or attempt to use another’s account;
- Harass, abuse or harm another person;
- Send or post any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, “junk mail,” “spam,” “chain letters,” “pyramid schemes,” or any form of solicitation unauthorized by The Whether;
- Develop, support or use software, devices, scripts, robots, or any other means or processes (including crawlers, browser plugins and add-ons, or any other technology or manual work) to scrape the Services or otherwise copy profiles and other data from the Services;
- Bypass or circumvent any access controls or Service use limits (such as caps on keyword searches);
- Copy, use, disclose or distribute any information obtained from the Services, whether directly or through third parties (such as search engines), without the consent of The Whether;
- Solicit email addresses or other personal information from Members you don’t know, without authorization.
- Use, disclose or distribute any data obtained in violation of this policy;
- Disclose information that you do not have the consent to disclose (such as confidential information of others (including your employer));
- Violate the intellectual property rights of others, including copyrights, patents, trademarks, trade secrets, or other proprietary rights. For example, do not copy or distribute (except through the available sharing functionality) the posts or other content of others without their permission, which they may give by posting under a Creative Commons license;
- Violate the intellectual property or other rights of The Whether, including, without limitation, (i) copying or distributing our learning videos or other materials or (ii) copying or distributing our technology, unless it is released under open source licenses; (iii) using the word “The Whether” or our logos in any business name, email, or URL;
- Use The Whether to send messages to people who don’t know you or who are unlikely to recognize you as a known contact;
- Post anything that contains software viruses, worms, or any other harmful code;
- Manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any message or post transmitted through the Services.
- Create profiles or provide content that promotes escort services or prostitution.
- Create or operate a pyramid scheme, fraud or other similar practice;
- Reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, decipher or otherwise attempt to derive the source code for the Services or any related technology that is not open source;
- Imply or state that you are affiliated with or endorsed by The Whether without our express consent (e.g., representing yourself as an accredited The Whether trainer);
- Rent, lease, loan, trade, sell/re-sell access to the Services or related data;
- Sell, sponsor, or otherwise monetize any Service without The Whether’s consent;
- Deep-link to our Services for any purpose other than to promote your profile or a Group on our Services, without The Whether’s consent;
- Remove any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notices contained in or on our Service;
- Remove, cover or obscure any advertisement included on the Services;
- Use bots or other automated methods to access the Services, add or download contacts, send or redirect messages;
- Monitor the Services’ availability, performance or functionality for any competitive purpose;
- Engage in “framing,” “mirroring,” or otherwise simulating the appearance or function of the Services;
- Overlaying or otherwise modifying the Services or their appearance;
- Access the Services except through the interfaces expressly provided by The Whether, such as its mobile applications, The Whether.com and slideshare.net;
- Use a Service for tasks that it is not intended for;
- Override any security feature of the Services;
- Interfere with the operation of, or place an unreasonable load on, the Services (e.g., spam, denial of service attack, viruses, gaming algorithms); and/or
Complaints Regarding Content
We respect the intellectual property rights of others. We require that information posted by Members be accurate and not in violation of the intellectual property rights or other rights of third parties. We provide a process for complaints concerning content posted that starts by contacting email@example.com.
How To Contact Us
If you want to send us notices or service of process, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.